The 4th Summer School on Higher Education 30th-31st August 2017, Jyväskylä
The fourth Summer School on Higher Education
Call for Papers: Deadline for applications 31st March 2017
Time: 30th - 31st of August 2017
Place: University of Jyväskylä, Ruusupuisto, Alvar Aallon katu 9
Evening workshop convenor:
Welcome to the fourth Summer School on Higher Education, organised for the first time as an international summer school. The theme of this year Summer School is research ethics and researchers’ social responsibility, understood in the broadest sense. The summer school addresses the big decisions faced by all PhD students in the course of their PhD: how to plan, execute and follow through a research project in an ethical manner. The keynote and the evening workshop, as well as the student papers focus on any or all of following themes through which research ethics can be approached:
- Integrity and good scientific conduct in higher education research: This theme may address for example IRB processes prior to conducting the research, or ethics in the publication process.
- Reflexivity in research process: This theme invites participants to reflect upon their role in their own research: in planning the research project, formulating the research questions, collecting and analysing data.
- Researcher’s social and global responsibility: What is a worthwhile objective to study? How do we as researchers impact on the world? How can we ensure that we do no harm?
The summer school provides PhD students an opportunity to present and get feedback on their own research as well as to meet senior researchers and other PhD students from the field of higher education research. The format of the summer school is based on students presenting their own papers, commenting on papers by other students and receiving feedback also from senior colleagues. Each paper will be commented by a student discussant and senior discussant. The language of the summer school is English.
The summer school is organised at the University of Jyväskylä, Ruusupuisto-building.
- Applicants will be notified of acceptance by 2nd of May 2017
- The participants are asked to submit the full papers (3-5 pages) by 1st of August 2017
Application form, instructions on writing an abstract and a paper as well as the updated program can be found on our web page: